One thing that has actually been ever present in California is smog. As a result California has the most aggressive laws restricting air pollution of any state in the union.
Why the Smog Test Program Exists
There are lots of reasons why California has pursued a course of regulation to lower air pollution such as:
- Reducing the health impacts of smog on residents;
- Improving the quality of life in California;
- Protecting the environment for current and future generations;
- Reducing our consumption of oil by ensuring combustion engines work efficiently;
- Reducing the carbon output of motor vehicles that is linked to climate change.
The California Environmental Protection Agency has information on the health impacts of air borne pollution and the bureau of automotive repair (BAR) has additional information on the smog check program overall.
What is a Smog Test?
The primary way in which California limitations air pollution is through the smog check program. Based on your world view this is an advantage, bad thing, or something in-between. California is or at least was an automobile culture. Believe it or not there are more cars than people in Stockton. So unlike other states which can limit emissions by regulating particles from smoke stacks and other stationary point sources, California has a completely different problem. The solution is the smog check program which requires vehicle owners to check their cars and trucks emissions and ensure they do not exceed established requirements. This program is administered by the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR).